Approaching the former Midland Road Bridge, Royston.
The site of the infilled former Midland Road Bridge, Royston. In 1934, the original bridge was replaced by an unusual electrically operated lift bridge.
The roadway was lifted by mechanisms situated in four corner towers.
Midland Road was previously called Senior Lane and the original bridge had been called Senior Lane Bridge.
The name was changed to Midland Road after the Midland Railway opened a new station at Lund Hill in 1900.
Looking south from the former Midland Road Bridge.
Looking back northwards towards Midland Road, Royston.
Looking southwards at Royston.
Looking southwards towards the site of Royston Bridge. The Anchor public house once stood on the right hand side of the canal next to the bridge.