The furthest point reached by the Sankey Canal in St Helens was here, near the site of the Ravenhead Copper Works. The canal headed north, alongside the Crown Glass Works, the site of the later Pilkingtons' factory.
Canal Street now runs along the route of the canal, to the south of St Helens. The canal was infilled in 1898, when Pilkingtons extended their glass works.
From the north end of Canal Street, the route of the canal ran eastwards across what is now the car park for the Range store (formerly occupied by Tesco).
The present terminus of the Sankey Canal, at the entrance of the Range store in St Helens.
Looking south-east from the present terminus of the Sankey Canal in St Helens.
Looking towards the World of Glass footbridge, St Helens. This stretch of water was known as "The Hotties" as hot water pumped from the nearby glassworks warmed the canal.
Overlooking the canal is the glass facade of the Hilton Hotel, St Helens.