Looking west from the River Aire to Lock No 1 of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, known as River Lock. This was the view in 2000, before the canalside area was redeveloped.
River Lock, looking east to Victoria Bridge crossing the River Aire. It's not just the camera perspective - the former warehouse on the right really is leaning!
Looking west at River Lock, Leeds, with modern buildings towering over Granary Wharf.
Looking east at Granary Wharf.
Looking west at Granary Wharf. The former single-storey Canal Office can be seen to the left of the bridge, with the Italianate Towers of Tower Works behind. The smaller, thinner tower seen in the photo was built in 1864 and was modelled on the Lamberti Tower in Verona. The taller, wider tower is the Giotto Tower, built in 1899 and modelled on the Campinale in Florence. A third tower, plainer than the other two, is not seen in this photo.
A preserved crane forms a centrepiece at Granary Wharf, between Locks 1 and 2.
Granary Wharf, looking towards Office Lock, Leeds.
Looking east along Granary Wharf towards Lock 1.
The arm on the left was originally the short Monk Pit Branch, which formed part of the Leeds and Armley Navigation. (see below)
The arm off Granary Wharf was originally the short Monk Pit Branch, which formed part of the Leeds and Armley Navigation. This led to Monk Pit Lock (also known as Arches Lock), built in 1844, which took boats down to the River Aire above the weir so that they could access wharfs along the river bank. There was a lot of boat traffic carrying coal to Whitehall Road Power Station. The arm has been shortened and blocked off but Monk Pit lock remains intact below the station arches, but with no public access.
Bridge 226 at Office Lock, Leeds.
Looking west at Lock No 2, Office Lock.
Box clough ground paddle at Office Lock, looking towards the busy railway bridge that carries all the trains to and from the west from Leeds Station.