Looking back towards Boundary Bridge. The bridge, built in 1835 and widened in 1861 by the Health Committee, is crossed by Boundary Street, a name which refers to an earlier boundary of Liverpool than the present one a mile to the north. Minor damage caused by wartime shrapnel can be seen on the bridge.
Leigh Bridge, which was re-built in 1861, looking towards central Liverpool.
Looking back through Leigh Bridge to Boundary Bridge. The stylish Victorian bridges along this section probably replaced earlier swing bridges.
Lightbody Street Bridge.
Looking back to Lightbody Street Bridge (C).
After Lightbody Street Bridge, a junction on the right leads into the Stanley Dock Branch. Boaters mooring at Eldonian Village will need to go straight ahead here, past the old warehouse and under Vauxhall Bridge. Walkers heading for Eldonian Village will need to go to the right, cross over the footbridge over the tail of the first lock, and then return to the other side of the junction.
Looking back from Vauxhall Bridge towards Lightbody Bridge. The Stanley Dock branch leads off to the left, opposite the warehouse.
Vauxhall Bridge at Eldonian Basin, Liverpool, built on the site of the former Gerard Bridge and opened in 1994 by Cilla Black and the children of Vauxhall.
Looking from Vauxhall Bridge to the canal terminus at Eldonian Basin, Liverpool.
Looking back at the canal terminus at Eldonian Basin, Liverpool. There are secure (locked-in) moorings on the off-side.
The canal originally ran a further three quarters of a mile, but that section has now been built upon. We will now retrace our progress a short distance to the Stanley Dock branch.